Lola and Me

Lola and Me

The Church of Cheese

Lola's Luck

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Moving

I love this packed-in Wallingford neighborhood with water views of Lake Union and the canal. Today, I drove slowly down my street, cars on both sides as always, waited for Debra's Penske van to get situated, and then parked carefully in my minimal garage space. Driving, parking where I live is always a tight squeeze and I see the moving van is a bit of a walk from the front door for the movers. I meet Debra in the hall; she says she is moving to a house in West Seattle.
The little rental moving van reminds me of Mill Valley and how we Marinites would try to warn the monster trucks that store a dozen households' belongings before they could turn onto the twisty, narrow Mt. Tamalpais roads and get stuck in the redwoods. As the vans lumbered by, I would wave my arms and shake my head from side to side, which is "No" in sign language. I lived in the flat, flood-prone part of town, on camellia-lined Miller Avenue, and within walking distance of The Book Depot. Other people lived on the mountain, and I never discovered how they got up there, and left, with all their stuff.
I have lived in a number of places and, for me, the perfect situation would involve the civil amenities of relative quiet, clean and healthy air, and a variety of songbirds, combined with fun urban things like great restaurants, museums, and lots of interesting people to meet and things to do. I settle for some part of this picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment